The Spiritual Growth Ministry’s goal is “to provide opportunities, resources, and relationships, so that our members can study and develop skills and grow in their relationships to God.” The team provides opportunities for education for all ages. In addition to Sunday School and programs for youth and children, the Spiritual Growth team also provides a number of opportunities for adults to strengthen their knowledge of the Bible and our faith.
- Sunday School Classes provide spiritual enrichment for all ages at 10 am Sunday mornings. We have seven Sunday School classes for adults. Class curriculum varies from quarterly studies about biblical topics to intense studies of books of the Bible to topical studies related to current events. Our classes offer a variety way of ways to study. Some classes use printed curriculum, while others use videos. You also have a choice of classes that are lecture based or discussion oriented. Many of our Sunday School classes also have social gatherings outside their Sunday morning classes.
- Joy kids: Children participate every year in the JOY Kids program, for children in k-4 through fifth grades. In the fall and spring, JOY Kids learn about Jesus and the Gospel through crafts, fun activities, field trips, and song.
- Youth Fellowship: You’ll find an active, growing youth ministry here at Summerville Presbyterian. While our youth programs are primarily for junior and senior high school students, we also have programs that minister to college and graduate students. The focus is on involving youth in fellowship activities that give them the opportunity for growing Christian relationships with God and each other.
Opportunities to Grow in Faith and Biblical Knowledge
- Kindred Spirits is a weekly discussion and prayer group for women. The Bible study is held on Wednesday mornings at 10:00am in the Library. Contemporary Christian authors and the Bible are used for the study.
- The Grace-Full Readers is a book study group – for women — that meets on the second Monday of the month at 7:00pm in the home of a different group member each month. The group delves into the contemporary literature, examining it from a Christian perspective.
- The Men’s Bible study group meets from 6:30am to 7:15am every Wednesday at Panera Bread on Main Street. This group uses short Bible studies that are four to six weeks long. Men of the all ages are invited to attend.
- The South Carolina Presbyterian Pilgrimage, a short course in Christianity held on weekends two times per year at Camp St. Christopher on Seabrook Island, S.C. A Pilgrimage retreat is an opportunity for Christians to joyfully refresh their spirits. Church members who’ve attended Pilgrimage are then invited to join a Fourth Day Small Group, which is a group of Pilgrimage graduates who meet monthly to share experiences in their faith journeys and to support each other through prayer and friendship.
- Wednesday Night Live Dinner is held during the spring and fall. Wednesday Night Live begins at 5:30pm with a delicious meal served in the gym. For a brief time after the meal, the pastors lead us in “gathering time,” which includes singing and sharing prayer requests. A wide variety of classes are offered after the dinner, including Bible studies, and small groups designed to identify and develop our spiritual gifts. There’s a new slate of classes every spring and fall. Children are offered fun activities and youth are led in Bible study. A couple of times each year, instead of classes, we enjoy a concert or a special presentation of general interest to the church family.